Rebirth of the Small Family Farm A Handbook for Starting a Successful Organic Farm Based on the Community Supported Agriculture Concept by Bob and Bonnie Gregson
Contents of Rebirth of the Small Family Farm
- Chapter 1 Our First Years on the Farm
- Chapter 2 What Our Farm Does: An Overview
- Chapter 3 Key Factors to Success
- Chapter 4 Start-Up Requirements
- Chapter 5 Overview of Equipment and Supplies
- Chapter 6 Setting Up the Land
- Chapter 7 Marketing Strategy
- Chapter 8 Crop Selection and Planning
- Chapter 9 Starting Plants
- Chapter 10 Operating a Subscription System Farm
- Chapter 11 What’s Next?
- Chapter 12 Other Things to Talk About
Introduction to Rebirth of the Small Family Farm
It is, poetically, a dark and stormy October night as this (true) tale begins to be set on paper. We have just shed our raingear and come inside after a session of slaughtering nearly 100 over-the-hill chickens.
They are easy to snag from their henhouse perches after dark, and it was slightly comforting to do this periodic unpleasant-but-necessary chore in the rain.
How bizarre this thought process — let alone the actual deeds — would have seemed to either of us eight years ago!
We were then in our mid-40s, had just remarried and bought a small operating flower and nut farm on an island near Seattle, and were determined to drop out of corporate careers for a better lifestyle.
So we did. And life did get better, much better